As a dentist for kids in Huntsville, we know that the holiday season is a ton of fun, but it also can be dangerous for the health of your teeth. This is the time of year where everywhere you go, people are handing out candy canes, cookies, cakes, pies, and other sugary treats. Even hot cocoa can become a mainstay drink for snacks and on the go. This is problematic when it comes to keeping your kids’ teeth healthy. The more sugar they consume, the more likely it is that plaque will build up, acid will be secreted and create cavities or infections. With daily habits like these, a toothache is not far away. The good news is, we can help.
Preventative Dental Care From a Dentist for Kids
When you visit our Huntsville dental office, we can work to keep your kids’ teeth as healthy as possible. This is done with ongoing preventative care, and we recommend that you schedule an appointment before the holiday season kicks into high gear. Some of the procedures we can quickly perform are:
- Dental exams. By examining your child’s teeth, we can determine if there are any signs of weakened enamel, cavities, infections, or gum disease. Many adults mistakenly associate these conditions with adults only. However, children can be impacted by them as well. If we notice any oral health problems, we can address them right away and often before your child experiences any discomfort.
- Teeth cleanings. As a dentist for kids, we recommend that you have your child’s teeth cleaned at least twice per year. This way, we can remove the plaque that has built up over time and prevent the chance of a toothache forming during your holiday vacation. We are a gentle family dentist and will ensure your child is comfortable during their appointment.
- Fluoride treatments. To keep your teeth healthy and strong, schedule fluoride treatments. Fluoride is a compound mineral that, when applied to the teeth, makes them stronger so they can fight decay.
- Dental sealants. If your child has deep ridges on the chewing surfaces of their teeth, it will be hard to keep them clean. We can brush dental sealants onto them, and this plastic-like substance will create a barrier so food particles and plaque cannot become trapped. As a result, the risk of your child getting cavities will be reduced.
- Fillings. If your child does have any signs of tooth decay, we can remove the decayed portion of the tooth and restore the structure using tooth-colored dental fillings. Doing so right away will help to prevent an uncomfortable toothache from forming, and their teeth will look natural and healthy when we are done.
Take Care of Their Teeth at Home
As a dentist for kids, we want to encourage you to take the steps necessary to keep their teeth in good health. This requires a focused effort at home that includes brushing twice per day and flossing daily, along with eating a healthy diet. Working together, we can help your kids have a healthy smile this holiday season.
As Easter approaches, so does the Easter Bunny, egg hunts and plenty of chocolate and jelly beans. Tis the season for lots of candy. It is also a risky holiday for your children's teeth. Naturally, …
As a kids' dentist in Huntsville, we recommend that our young patients visit our office twice a year for regular teeth cleanings. Regular teeth cleanings are the best way to prevent cavities and infections from …
As your Huntsville childrens dentist, our priority is the health of your children – both now and in the future. We want your children to maintain strong and healthy teeth as they age. Whilethis involves …
Braces are common and in our kid friendly dentist office, we regularly recommend that children have an orthodontics treatment. This can be important for the appearance and health of teeth because straight teeth are easier …